First up is basket-weaving the support. I have a wooden flag pole set into the benchwork for an elevation gauge and a place to work to. I think it will get removed as I progress. I need to be able to stand up inside this mountain to service hidden track and that is why it will be hollow and high. LOL I built the tunnel framework to hide and protect the track. Not sure what kind of topping to give it. I anticipate I'll need to remove it easily. I'm thinking cardboard, tied around with shoelaces. It's constructed of insulation board and the inside is black. Any suggestions for the "roof"?
Hey! It's a start. LOL
SEPT 23: I can definitely stand up in this beast! Time to step back and sleep on it and connect it to the wall tomorrow. Then I'll decide if the basic shape is okay or not. If not, I'll re-weave it until I'm satisfied. I already think I don't like how the one side seems to cave in. But first I'll connect it to the wall, then be judgmental of it.
OBTW: One thing I've learned. If you are standing inside a structure like this - building it, using a hot glue gun and wearing flip-flops; be very careful of glue drops. Hee-Hee-Hee
SEPT 24: I'm pretty much done with the webbing on the mountain. Those strings you can see on the first pic when you look at it enlarged, are anchored to the wall. I'm pulling the webbing on this side out a little bit. This week-end, when I get plastered, I'll cut the strings and see what happens. LOL There will be more webbing of course, as I roll this down to the other track levels. But I do one thing at a time, so next up will be to do the hard-shell on this part.
Hmmmmmmmmm. I think I'll elevate the right hand edge of this mountain at the upper tunnel port - rather than rolling it down is it is right now. I think it would make this mountain look a little less like an igloo. LOL
SEPT 25: I got plastered first thing this morning. Now I have a fan on it to dry. I rolled the mountain edge over as I mentioned above to see where it would go. I have the excess cardboard strips bundled up. Next up (after it dries) will be to texture it with my "oatmeal".
I guess I've found the upward limit for my mountains. Rafters and reach. LOL It was all I could do to get the plaster-soaked paper towels at the very top. Once this mountain is done getting decorated, I don't figure on fiddling with it up there at the top too much. There are a few rough places that the "oatmeal" will fill and even out. That process will take a while to to build the texture I want.
SEPT 26: I have two sides of this mountain textured with my "oatmeal" mixture. I'm refining the "recipe" for it as I go along. I have it to the point now where it's creamy smooth. It sticks a lot better when applying it and I can spread it out thinner to cover more area. It doesn't need to be thick, unless I am simulating a rock out-cropping or something. I'm leaning towards calling this mountain "Sandy Hill" because there won't be any rock faces or hardly any vegetation on it. It will just pretty much get painted and further textured with sawdust.
It looks a little moon-like right now with all the wet and dry "oatmeal" covering it. LOL
SEPT 27: The "oatmeal" mix now covers all. Dry time is needed, so painting will probably take place tomorrow.
SEPT 27: Judging from the number of visits to this blog, I would say that most guys like to see the process as well as the finished product. I know I sure do. To that end, I am putting up some pics of today's work. I'm not done painting and decorating yet, but I think it's interesting to see the transformation taking place.
I have some touch-up work to do and trees to plant.
Sept 28: Today's work saw some clean-up and trees planted. Also the fascia board has been installed all around and webbing to close in this part. The webbing will continue tomorrow. There will be a deck bridge on the upper loop crossing over the lower loop. I don't want to add any more detail to this part yet until all elements including track are installed.
Sept 29: Today's work put more fascia and webbing up. I'll be happy to have all this subroadbed closed off at this area!
SEPT 30: This morning, I finished with the webbing and fascia. Next up will be to get plastered. LOL
SEPT 30: I got plastered this afternoon. Mercifully, it needs some drying-out time. LOL
SEPT 30: I've been in a funk for a couple days when this mountain didn't show the kind of detail that I had in my head when building it. Then it occurred to me that the problem wasn't technique so much as lighting. Here is what I see with the "wrong" lighting.
And here is what I see with the kind of lighting I had in my head while building it.
I need an overhead spot. That and some shadow underpainting to show depth.
OCT 1: I had a huge helping of "oatmeal" this morning. I mixed it up richer than normal so that when it dries, it will be harder, since there could be some pressure on this front part.
OCT 2: We got all painted and some decorations done. I repositioned a light overhead to give more contrast. It's only florescent, but I think I should go to one bulb instead of two. The top is washed out some. The roadbed has been graded and there's a work crew finishing up. LOL Next up will be to lay down some track.
OCT: 4 I'm now in the process of laying down some track with the aide of my little helpers. LOL
OCT: 5 It took a couple pots of coffee and the threat of floggings, but we got the work crew out again today. They are busy securing a sign to the side of Sandstone Mountain. They also built a retaining wall and put up some fencing.